While construction has traditionally been a very conservative industry, the increasing rate of technological development and growing international competition in the industry are serving to accelerate the development of new construction methods, equipment, materials and management techniques. This Programme seeks to answer to the growing need for innovative and professionally competent construction professionals.
- NVQ-J LEVEL 2 in construction skill area and CXC/CSEC Mathematics and English Language OR Four (4) CXC (General or Technical Proficiency level) grades, 1 or 2, and grade 3 (as of 1998) or GCE “O” Level (Grades A, B or C) or equivalent (inc. of Mathematics and English Language.
- A minimum of 2 yrs work experience, preferably in the construction area.
Note: Successful applicants having a grade two (2) or three (3) in CXC/CSEC Math are required to sit college Algebra, while those having a grade one (1) will proceed to Pre-Calculus in semester one of the academic year.
Applicants entering the institution with a grade two (2) or (3) in CXC/CSEC English A are required to sit the English Language Proficiency Test and will placed in either College English 1, College English II or Fundamentals of Communication based on grades received in the test.
The programme is offered on a part time basis on the main campus of the VTDI which is located at Gordon Town Road, Kingston 6.
Days offered: Monday - Friday 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm (3 evenings) and
Saturdays 9:00 – 4:00 pm
Total Number of Credits
|| Year 1
|| Year 2
| Semester 1
Fundamentals of Communication
Built Environment Economics
Construction Health, Safety and the Environment
|Building Services Technology
Construction Methods and Practice 2
Construction/Project Planning Techniques
Computer Aided Drafting 1
| Semester 2
Construction Project Management and Contract Procedures
Construction Management Theories and Practices
Human Resources and Manpower Management
Methods of Measurement and Estimating Fundamentals 1
||Construction Methods and Practice 1
Project Risk Analysis and Risk Management
Total Quality Management
|Methods of Measurement and Estimating Fundamentals 2
Principles of Property Valuation
Introduction to Production Process Improvement
National Building Code and Building Regulation
To satisfy the requirements for graduation, students must:-
- Successfully complete all required courses
- Pay all outstanding fees
Additional Tips for Success at VTDI
- Attend classes regularly
- Attend classes on time
- Be organized
- Submit all assignments ON TIME
- Study regularly
- Prioritize and manage time well
- Know programme requirements and complete pre-requisites
- Talk to lecturer/programme coordinator about difficulties